Thursday 9 July 2015

The Timeless Way through the Outer Hebrides, Lickeasto to Berneray


Sunday 28 June 2015

I ventured off road as advised by Peter to visit a deserted township.  Leaving the road at the old Manish school house, I followed an old path down to the deserted homes on the edge of a loch and clambered back to the road further along.






Another detour took me through lunar landscapes and a boggy section near Ardvey.




I made quite quick progress along the rest of this golden road, and arrived at Rodel faster than I had thought I would, I was pleased to see St Clements church in the distance.






Walking up the hill to the door and entering the church I was aware of the history, having read about this in Peter's book.  This 16th century church is home to the tombs of the Chiefs of the Clan Macloed and the place is quite special, spectacular even.  

After a while I left the church and decided to miss out the pub, where I had hoped to have a pub lunch.  I took a route across some hills,towards Borghasdal and ran along the road from there to Leverburgh.










In the ferry port waiting room I met 3 cyclists who had been touring the Western Isles and we agreed we had hoped for better weather for our trips, but had all had a great time.

We caught the 18:15 pm ferry from Leverburgh to Berneray, and they cycled off, I ran to the Gatliff hostel on the north east coast of this little island.

Another superb location for a hostel, I camped above a beach a short distance away.



No comments:

Post a Comment