Tuesday 14 July 2015

The Timeless Way, from Howmore to Eriskay


Day 9 Thursday 2 July 2015

I set off from the Gatliff hostel and spent some time in the chapel, church and burial grounds, together with Commonwealth war graves which are literally next to the hostel.







I decided to follow the beach as much as possible so most of the day was spent striding along the coast, detouring inland at a few red 'danger areas'.







I moved from North to South enjoying amazing views of the sea and the as always luminescent sky to my right and mountains to my left.








I bumped into a family from Milngavie I had met at the hostel, after a few hours, and as I approached the causeway to Eriskay many hours later a car behind me slowed down and offered me a lift, it was the Milngavie family, I politely declined and laughed!

Between West and East Kilbride as I made my way round the bottom of South Uist a storm came towards me and as it reached me, then headed north.




I crossed the causeway and arrived on Eriskay.  I climbed up and over a hill to escape from the road, and turned inland to find the pub marked on the map.




I had tea in the Am Politician, then pitched my tent above the Prince's beach where Bonny Prince Charlie first set foot in the Outer Hebrides.  There were a few wild campers along this stretch of coastline, all perfectly content with the views and the stillness of the evening.




I had a paddle in the blue sea to wash and soothe my feet and slept well listening to the waves.




No comments:

Post a Comment