Thursday 9 July 2015

The Timeless Way through the Outer Hebrides, Rhenidigale to Lickisto


Day 5 Saturday 27 June

The morning was bright, I packed and set off along the path over the cliffs, the postman's path between Tarbert and Rhenidigale.  This path was the means of communication between the people who lived in Rhenidigale before the road which I had walked own the day before was built, other than deliveries by boat.









Arriving at Tarbert, I stocked up on food in the local store, and I had a quick pint in the Hotel Hebrides.

Now I was on South Harris.  I started on my journey along the 'golden road' which follows the eastern coast to Leverburgh, predominantly a quiet tarmac road with some off road sections.




I was offered a cup of tea near Loch Grosebay by a friendly crofter called Neil, who also offered me a room for the night but it was too early for me to stop so I thanked him for his kind offer and carried on.

I took a detour from the road to come out at Stockinish, and was buoyed by such an amazing terrain and views.







I had a bus timetable which I had picked up in Leverburgh and decided that I would get the bus when at came at 7 pm - I would flag it down and stay on it as far as it went, I had had enough of the tarmac and would make better progress along tarmac by taking a bus then have a few days to explore at the end of my holiday.

The bus didn't come.  I found out later that the buses don't always look like buses, it may be that I stood to the side to let a van pass which was in fact the bus.

By the time I arrived at Lickisto I was pleased to find a camp site, I know it was lazy but I was tired and decided to crash in the blackhouse.







No comments:

Post a Comment